Commenting on figures which show the number of fishing vessels and fishermen are both at record lows.
Scottish Liberal Democrat rural affairs spokesperson Jim Hume MSP has said: “The increase to value of fish is welcome but should not distract us from what is clearly a very troubled economic outlook for Scotland’s fishing industry. This must be tackled head on by the Scottish Government.
“Richard Lochhead should work with the UK government to promote the Coastal Communities Fund in Scotland. The £3.9 million fund will go some way to support economic development in Scottish coastal communities by promoting sustainable economic growth and jobs in tourism, fisheries and aquaculture sectors.”
- Key role for Scottish fishermen in MPAs
- The offshore renewables/fisheries interaction
- Call to torch new EU fishing regulations
- Fishermen in North Sea rescue drama
- Hatching a plan for lobster farming
- CFP a ‘failure’ says government report
- Plight of fisherman taken to House of Commons
- Kite systems offer a great alternative to...
- Does your bulk seafood packaging supplier...
- UK Mackerel stocks highest for 26 years